Late last year I started seeing a bloke called David Goggins pop up throughout my social media themes. David Goggins Navy Seal really resonated with me. He is a no BS kind of guy and the way he motivates and talks about self improvement and growth is right down my line of thinking. I decided I would read his book and I created the Can’t Hurt Me book summary. I found this to be the most inspiring book I have read to date.
This book will really appeal to those who want to start down the path of personal growth and provide the perspective that if you think your life is tough, get some perspective. I was shocked by the early childhood that David had dealing with an abusive “gangster” father. If this was the foundation for his life, you can only be amazed of what he has accomplished since.
For me reading this book had great impact on realising achievement and doing things that really made a difference were really all in the mind. When I completed the book I set on a personal journey of fitness. While I had already made up in my mind that I was going to get into shape. I decided why not try something different and thats when I set off on seeing how many days in a row could I jump rope 1,500 times. In writing this I am currently 94 days in.
Do yourself a favour and get the book Can’t Hurt Me. It will transform they way you think about the small things. It will give you a framework of challenges to push yourself. If you are ready to transform your life and grow into the person you want to be. Choose David Goggins as a virtual mentor and follow his example. For some you may find it a little extreme. For some he will be the medicine you need to achieve your goals.
David Goggins Navy Seal – Achievements
- Retired Navy SEAL the only man in the U.S. Armed Forces to complete SEAL training (including two Hell Weeks), the U.S. Army Ranger School (where he graduated as Enlisted Honor Man) and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training.
- Broke the world record for the most pull ups in a 24 hour period in 2013. This was his third attempt and broke the record with 4,030 pull-ups in 17 hours.
- Ultra-Marathons – 2006 Ultraman World Championship – 2nd place. 2007 Badwater Ultra Marathon – 3rd place. 2007 The Grapevine 48 Hour National Championships – 205 miles. 2008 McNaughton 150 Miler – 1st place. 2009 HURT 100 Miler Endurance Run – 4th place. 2016 Music City Ultra 50k – 1st place. 2016 Infinitus 88k – 1st place. 2016 Strolling Jim 40 Miler -1st place.
David Goggins Navy Seal – Quotes
- “Our culture has become hooked on the quick-fix, the life hack, efficiency. Everyone is on the hunt for that simple action algorithm that nets maximum profit with the least amount of effort. There’s no denying this attitude may get you some of the trappings of success, if you’re lucky, but it will not lead to a calloused mind or self-mastery. If you want to master the mind and remove your governor, you’ll have to become addicted to hard work. Because passion and obsession, even talent, are only useful tools if you have the work ethic to back them up.”
- “It won’t always go your way, so you can’t get trapped in this idea that just because you’ve imagined a possibility for yourself that you somehow deserve it. Your entitled mind is dead weight. Cut it loose. Don’t focus on what you think you deserve. Take aim on what you are willing to earn!”
- “We all need small sparks, small accomplishments in our lives to fuel the big ones. Think of your small accomplishments as kindling. When you want a bonfire, you don’t start by lighting a big log. You collect some witch’s hair—a small pile of hay or some dry, dead grass. You light that, and then add small sticks and bigger sticks before you feed your tree stump into the blaze. Because it’s the small sparks, which start small fires, that eventually build enough heat to burn the whole fucking forest down.”
- “In the military we always say we don’t rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training,”
- “We live in a world with a lot of insecure, jealous people. Some of them are our best friends. They are blood relatives. Failure terrifies them. So does our success. Because when we transcend what we once thought possible, push our limits, and become more, our light reflects off all the walls they’ve built up around them. Your light enables them to see the contours of their own prison, their own self-limitations. But if they are truly the great people you always believed them to be, their jealousy will evolve, and soon their imagination might hop its fence, and it will be their turn to change for the better.”
- “I thought I’d solved a problem when really I was creating new ones by taking the path of least resistance.”
- “Denial is the ultimate comfort zone.”
- “If you want to be one of the few to defy those trends in our ever-softening society, you will have to be willing to go to war with yourself and create a whole new identity, which requires an open mind.”
- “it’s possible to transcend anything that doesn’t kill you,”
- “Only you can master your mind, which is what it takes to live a bold life filled with accomplishments most people consider beyond their capability.”
David Goggins Navy Seal – Net Worth
David Goggins earned $60k per annum in his year of service to the USA. His reported net worth is at $240k. Stay tuned though as his meteoric rise to fame in the personal development world will well and truly see him building up his net worth over the coming years.