Learning the importance of your mindset may well be the most important thing that you learn in life. Simply, mindset is what separates the best from the rest. It really is a basic law of success. If you look at all that have achieved in life. The typical characteristic will be the strength of their mindset. Typically these people will have developed what is known as a growth mindset.
But what exactly is mindset?
Mindset was discovered by Stanford University psychologist Dr Carol Dweck. It was found after many decades of research behind the topic of success and achievement. This idea as simplistic as it was, was very telling in identifying the difference in two different mindsets.
Firstly there is the fixed mindset. In this mindset people have a belief that their qualities such as their talents and their intelligence are fixed traits. People with the fixed mindset will typically spend time on their current intelligence and talent rather than developing them any further. The other major flaw in this mindset is that they believe that success comes from talent only with zero effort. This is further from the truth it is not even funny.
The flip side to this and where you want to be if you’re not is the growth mindset. People within this mindset believe that their abilities can be improved and developed with the necessary work and dedication. The current status of their abilities is just the beginning and the launching pad for greater growth. The growth mindset is what separates the best from the rest.
This view on yourself will foster a love for learning and build a level of resilience which will embolden the ability to achieve great things. You would be hard pressed to find someone of greatness without these magical qualities of the growth mindset.
So if Mindset is what separates the best from the rest, what can you do about it?
It’s a pretty simple answer really. You learn to foster your mind into the growth mindset. You can simply do this in a couple of ways. Firstly you probably need to take yourself through a mindset reset. The next step would be to go through some simple steps which will allow you to to adopt and develop the growth mindset. I have created this short guide on growth mindset training, which you can access here.
If you are in a position in life where you want to achieve but you feel a little stuck. Really understanding this mindset change can really help propel your life into the place you want it to go. The mindset reset will allow you place yourself in a place where you believe you can achieve. This is super important in fostering the growth mindset and becoming a powerhouse of personal development.
Every individual has the the ability to succeed in whatever it is that they want in life. The only thing holding you back is your beliefs with a combination of taking massive action. Naturally we don’t all possess the same physical attributes but all in all we are very similar in that we all have the ability to learn and develop our abilities with dedication to an outcome.
Steps to Becoming the best version of yourself
The above has spoken to how your mindset is what separates the best from the rest. I have also provided you a link to the mindset reset and mindset training. But for a quick reference sake lets looks at some quick tips on how you can become the best version of you:
- Reset your mindset and believe you can achieve. It goes without saying that to achieve you need to believe you can do so. Such is the methodology of adopting the growth mindset.
- Just Do It. Theres a reason why Nike made their slogan so popular because it’s so damn true. Your first step to success is forward momentum. There is never a best time to do something, so just do it now.
- Embrace failure. You will learn that when learning the growth mindset that failure is something that is to be nurtured. Reframing your current perspective on failure as a negative to a positive is extremely important. Failing at something means a couple of things, first you tried, second you have learned something. Only through attempting and learning can you become better.
- Stop caring about what others think. Yes it seems simple in practice but the best version of yourself should be what you believe is the best. Everything else is noise and opinion, wasting mental energy on that stuff is not even worth it.
- There is no magic solution. To become the best version of you, you need put in the effort to get there. What ever it is that you see as being the best version of you, you need to put in the work to get there.
- Network with people who you want to be like. I’m not saying reach out to Richard Branson or Elon Musk here. I’m saying that there are people out there in the world achieving great things. Jump on to social media networking platforms and find people who are realistically people you can reach out to. Start networking with them and start the dialogue. They’ve already done it and you will be surprised how willing people are to help others. Which brings us to…
- Help others be their best. If you know there is someone you can assist in being their best. Give them a hand. Helping others rise will help you rise!
- Have gratitude for the opportunity to be the best you can be. Have you ever stepped back and looked at all the opportunity around you. We live in an era where there are an abundance of tools available to assist in achievement. You have tools to learn and be your best and most of them FREE. You ever heard of that place called Youtube?
- If people offer help, take it. Learning to take the help of other or tapping into the expertise of others is a way of leap frogging your way to your best self.
- Keep in contact with your friends and family. The people you love and care about will you stay energised. They typically help bring out the best in you. I know I have several muses that each time I speak to them I feel energised and full of thought.
- Don’t compare yourself, especially on social media. Personally I booted Facebook because of the time wasting factor and the amount of 1st world whinge. I limit my use of Instagram as a place of motivation and documentation. But when you do use these platforms, please don’t compare yourself. It’s not productive, plus most of that shit is fakery!
- Celebrate the small wins. It’s not the end point but the journey that is the most important part to celebrate. However small it is, its an indication you are on the road to the best version of you.
- Don’t be a douche know it all. If you don’t know something that’s ok, there’s nothing worse than pretending that you know something you don’t. A gap in knowledge should be viewed as an opportunity to learn.
- Eat Healthy and Exercise regularly. Goes without saying to be the best version of you, you need to make good choices. By no means do I advocate body is a temple, but gluttony isn’t the answer as well. A balanced intake of good foods with occasional splurges is just fine. Couple this with regular exercise you will set up your mind and body for best version it can be.
Remember mindset is what separates the best from the rest. So be aware of your mindset and in particular be sure to understand that your mindset is a choice. You can choose to be awesome of you can choose to be a loser. I know which one I’d rather be. Now go out and be your best friends.