The Positive Mindset is a state of mind where you have a positive outlook on life and see all facets in an optimistic light. Achieving and maintaining this state of mind takes practice but is ultimately worth the effort.
This article includes ways to cultivate the Positive Mindset, such as journaling, practising optimism, and putting yourself first. It will also highlight Facts about The Positive Mindset that show just how important it can be in day-to-day life.
What is a positive mindset?
A positive mindset is an attitude in which a person has an optimistic outlook on life. They are able to see all facets of their life in a positive light and are usually able to maintain this particular state of mind regardless of the situation they find themselves in or what is going on around them.
The idea of the positive mindset was founded by Dr. Abraham Maslow, a psychologist that put together several different theories about how people think and behave. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs is a theory that explains the different needs of people in relation to one another. It shows that in order for a person to be successful, they must first satisfy their basic needs like food and water before moving onto their higher-level needs like self-actualization.
First coined by Dr. Abraham Maslow, the concepts of the positive mindset and the hierarchy of needs are now accepted throughout society. Dr. Maslow’s work showed that a person cannot be happy if they don’t have first met their basic needs as a human being. From this, we can see that people would be happier and more successful if they fulfil their basic needs before moving onto higher-level ones like self-actualization or self-fulfilment.
What are some benefits to having a positive mindset?
Fact 1: A Positive Mindset is a “Healthy” Mindset.
A positive mindset is useful to have when facing stressful situations. When you are feeling stress, you may find yourself dwelling on that particular stress and having more bad days than good days. However, a positive mindset can help you to handle your stress effectively and avoid letting minor problems ruin your day.
Fact 2: A Positive Mindset is a Good Thing.
A positive mindset can help you feel better about yourself, your life, and even your surroundings. It will also help you to think more positively about other people as well as the world around you, resulting in an overall more positive outlook on life and more confidence in taking action.
Fact 3: A Positive Mindset is a Long-Term Attitude.
A positive mindset is a long-term attitude, not something that you can build up for a few days and then lose. However, cultivating a positive mindset is not about being fake or putting on a show; it’s about changing how you view the world around you, improving your quality of life in the process.
Fact 4: A Positive Mindset is a Product of Self-Improvement.
A positive mindset can also be attributed to self-improvement. It is not a static state of mind, but rather a perspective that you can cultivate over time.
Fact 5: A Positive Mindset is a Result of Putting Yourself First.
One good way to cultivate a positive mindset is by placing yourself first. This means that you are actively doing things that will make you happy and are not just looking out for other people or thinking about what they would want you to do. Put yourself first and happiness will follow.
20 Step Guide to developing a positive mindset.
It’s not always easy to be positive but it can have a powerful effect on your life. Positive people are happier, healthier and more successful than those with a negative outlook. Just like any other skill, developing a positive mindset takes time and effort. This beginners guide gives you 10 steps using proven techniques to bring positivity into your life.
1. Decide to have a positive mindset
The first step is to make the decision to have a positive outlook on life. Most of us are unaware of our mental state so it’s difficult to change it. Like all new skills, it takes practice and commitment. As with most things in life, you get out what you put into developing a positive mindset. Don’t expect results overnight and set small achievable goals along the way.
2. Understand your negative thinking
Negative thinking can leave us feeling depressed. It can make even small problems seem insurmountable and can turn a pleasant mood into one of worry and anxiety. Understanding how you think is vital to improving your mental state. You may be surprised what you find out about yourself as you work through this guide.
3. Develop your positive thinking
Positive thinking is different to negative thinking. Positive thinking involves creating a more positive image of yourself and the world around you. Your thoughts can create emotions and result in feelings of happiness. Some people are naturally more positive than others but it’s all about how you think. You can develop a positive mindset and it’s not magic, it just takes practice, effort and awareness.
4. Identify your self-talk
Your self-talk is the way you speak to yourself inside your head. If you find yourself talking negatively about yourself or your life, you may be experiencing negative self-talk. Thoughts become words and words become actions, so being aware of it is a step in the right direction.
5. Challenge your negative self-talk
Start to challenge the negative things you tell yourself by thinking of some solutions to whatever problem you’re facing. You may have to go back and change some of your old negative thinking but you can challenge yourself. Keep trying until you feel confident in your ability to solve problems.
6. Create success affirmations
Success affirmations are the positive statements that you repeat to yourself when you’re feeling low, or a goal is in sight. They’re not magic but they’ll boost your confidence and give you more motivation as you improve. Affirmations help to build confidence so it’s important that they’re positive and true for you.
7. Practise positive self-talk
The easiest way to make sure that you’re thinking positively is to talk to yourself in the same way you would talk to a friend. For example, if you’ve had a bad day at work, don’t moan about it when you get home – instead try and find some positives. This doesn’t mean that everything is rosy and perfect but it helps put things into perspective. Just like other skills, practice makes perfect!
8. Realise the importance of positivity
Positive thinking isn’t just about having a positive attitude, it’s also about how you deal with the problems that are thrown at you. Learn to deal with your problems before they happen and make sure you think positively. When your positivity is low, you’re way more likely to let problems get to you or to give up.
9. Don’t get discouraged
If you’re struggling, then it’s totally normal because it’s not always easy. Just remember that even the most successful people had setbacks that made them want to quit but they kept going despite the obstacles in their way. If negative thinking is holding you back, then what are you waiting for? Get moving now!
10. Focus on something else
Sometimes we’re so caught up in the negativity that it’s hard to think of anything else. If negativity is making it difficult to concentrate, then take a break. Go for a walk, listen to something that makes you feel happy or read something uplifting. The more you focus on the positive, the more it’ll sink in and you’ll start to feel better again!
11. Become an optimist
If you’re an optimist already, then great! You won’t have to do anything other than keep telling yourself how happy you are. But if you’re not yet completed an optimist, then don’t worry. The more you focus on the positive, the more it’ll take over your life and eventually even those around you will start to see the positivity too!
12. Stop comparing yourself to others
In the world of social media, there will always be someone out there who has their life together in a completely different way. We instantly feel labelled and judged when we see someone “better” than us. But the fact is, not every single person is living an amazing life and the fact that you chose to live your life in a certain way doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone else should do the same.
13. Stop worrying about things not working out
It’s easy to get caught up in negative thoughts and the stress of worrying about what could go wrong. Instead of worrying about what’s going on, focus on what you want to happen. The law of attraction states that whatever we focus our mind on, returns to us. So instead of worrying about things that haven’t happened yet, focus on the things you want to happen and you’re bound to start getting them!
14. Don’t judge yourself
Judging yourself or others doesn’t achieve anything positive. Instead of judging, try to understand how everyone is different and that’s why we have our own opinions. It’s important to accept that you’re not the same as everyone else and learn from what they do. Don’t be quick to judge someone else because you see their life differently than you do. You may be unaware of how you’re influencing them, so don’t take it personally!
15. Try to be a positive influence
We all know that negativity spreads like wildfire and for some reason, humans just seem to love being negative. If you find yourself surrounded by negative people, then try your best to pull them into the positive zone. Being a positive influence on others is a great way to become more positive yourself!
16. Focus on your strengths rather than weaknesses
Stop focusing on your weaknesses and start focusing on your strengths. Most negative thinking is focused on the things you can’t do rather than the things you can. Focus more on your strengths because they’ll help eliminate your weaknesses. If you’re not sure of your strengths, then make a list and work on developing them.
17. Think like a child
When we were young, life was easy and simple. We didn’t know what it meant to be negative or depressed because we had no thoughts about what could go wrong in our lives. As we grow older, we start to think more deeply which can cause negative thinking. Try taking a break from thinking about the problems of the world and learn to appreciate everything you have in your life.
18. Plan ahead
Planning ahead is a great way to reduce negative thinking because you’re able to prepare for whatever issues may arise. If you have a lot of things going on then it’s easy for negative thoughts to take over and stress you out. But by planning ahead, you’re able to feel in control of the situation and prevent negative thinking.
19. Give thanks for your life
The world is full of great things that we take for granted. We think that we don’t deserve to be given any more of what we already have but why not be thankful? Think about how grateful you are that you’re alive and the amazing opportunities that are right in front of you. You deserve it!
20. Be brave
If you want to be genuinely happy with your life, then you must be brave. Being brave means risking what you think is negative in your life. You have to put yourself out there because if it doesn’t work out, at least you tried. Most people are scared of the unknown and will try to avoid risks but it’s important to try and face the unknown head-on!
What are some examples of the positive mindset?
Now we will give you some real-world examples to help you understand a little better. These examples will be completely different from your life but the principles will still apply to you.
Example 1: John
John is a 21-year-old young man who believes that he will most likely fail his next exam. John believes that if he fails, then every single other part of his life will also fail and he’ll be stuck in a life of failure. Even though John has been putting off studying, he wants to start working on his exam so he can try to get a high grade. He sits down at his desk and tries to start on his exam, thinking about what he could do wrong. “I’m going to fail”, John says, as he puts his head in his hands and starts to cry.
In this example, John is acting out of fear because he’s afraid of failing. Even though it might seem obvious, John is feeling negative emotions because he is thinking negatively. Instead of focusing on what could go wrong, John should focus on what he can do to make it go easier. Here are a few tips:
- John didn’t study as much as he should have. He shouldn’t dwell on the past but learn from it and begin studying for his exam right now!
- If John has failed an exam before, he should make a note of all the mistakes that he made and then focus on what went wrong and how to avoid those mistakes again.
- Instead of thinking that he can’t do it, John should try to find a way to make it easier. For example, if he’s finding it too easy, he could change his study time around so that it only takes him two hours instead of four. He’ll also have fewer reminders which will make the learning process easier.
Example 2: Sandy
Sandy is 22 years old and is in love with her dream man but she thinks he’s just not interested in her. She’s been waiting on him for a long time to come back but he hasn’t responded, she thinks he’s just playing her. Sandy wants to believe that she’ll get her dream man but at the same time, she’s afraid of being rejected so she keeps reminding herself how bad it will be if he chooses someone else.
In this example, Sandy is thinking negatively which makes her stay stuck in worry and fear. She has a dream of her perfect life and when it isn’t being fulfilled, she turns the negative into a complete disaster. Here are some tips:
- Instead of focusing on what could go wrong, Sandy should focus on what she could do to make it easier. If she’s just dreaming about her dream man, then she should call him up and tell him how much she loves him and how much he means to her.
- If Sandy is in love with him, then why not take the risk to see if her dream man feels the same way? She should tell him and see what happens!
- If he doesn’t like her back, then at least she tried and learned something from it. Instead of spending so much time worrying about it all day long, Sandy should try focusing on other things.
Example 3: Dave
Dave is 64 years old and he’s retired from his job. He thought that he would fall in love again after retirement but it never happened and he’s just too old. He thinks that he’s too old to find love again and that he’ll never have anyone special. He wonders why women won’t ever call him or want to go out with him anymore. He gets lonely and thinks that it’s just his age, but at the same time, he hasn’t done anything to attract any new women!
In this example, Dave is mentally stuck in the past. He’s stuck in his old ways of thinking because he’s been making the same mistakes over and over. He thinks that he’s too old to find love again and that it’s never going to happen when in fact, he has a lot more time than ever for finding love. Here are some tips:
- Stop being afraid of the future and think about it instead. He’ll be too old when this happens if he continues worrying about it all the time. Instead, he should think about the various opportunities that are coming around right now. It’s never too late to find a woman to love!
- Dave is alone a lot and it’s easy for him to start thinking negatively about himself. Instead of calling himself old, he should try being confident and friendly with people outside of his home.
- If he still feels lonely, then Dave should try doing something else that interests him. For example, he could join a martial arts club and start working out to help him look better.
Example 4: Dean
Dean is 29 and lives with his young partner who has just gotten pregnant. He’s the one that gets up early in the morning and takes care of everything so his partner can go to work. He’s never going to see his child grow but at the same time, he doesn’t want to hate being a father. He wonders if he’ll ever get to go out with his friends and have fun but at the same time, he doesn’t want to be a father who never has any fun.
In this example, Dean is thinking negatively about what’s going to happen if he becomes a father. He’s stuck in both the “before” and “after” of his life. Instead of thinking of it in terms of good or bad, Dean should focus more on making some small changes so his life will be easier. Here are some tips:
- Instead of focusing on the bad stuff that could happen, Dean should focus on the good things. Instead of thinking about how his life will change, he should think about looking forward to seeing the baby grow up. He can also think about what other small changes he can make in his life to make it easier.
- Instead of thinking about how much he’s getting up every day, Dean should try to get more sleep and go to bed earlier.
- Instead of thinking that he’ll never have any fun again, Dean should think about the small things that he can do every day. He can show his partner that he still cares and loves her by doing something nice for her like making lunch or giving her a back rub. These small changes will make each day easier for both of them and they’ll enjoy it even more.
What are some books that you can read to help with the positive mindset?
Reading is a great way of learning and experiencing new things. I’m a big fan of reading in general because book lovers will do anything to live life to the fullest! Here are some books that you can read today or this week to help guide you in your journey towards your positive mindset today:
1. The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
This is a book that I’ve read previously and it really helped change my perspective on life. I recommend that you read it to get started on your journey towards a positive mindset!
2. The Five Minute Journal – Mark Divine
I love the idea behind this book because most days we spend more time in our head than in the real world. Getting away from your problems by writing them down and focusing on what’s real will help you find your way to a positive mindset!
3. The Miracle Morning – Hal Elrod
This book is about how to start your day off right and how to start the rest of your life in the right direction. I used a lot of the ideas in this book to change my mindset and they really worked!
4. Taming Your Mind – Mark Salzberg
This book focuses on fixing your mind so that you can live and experience life in the most positive way possible. This is another one of my favorite books for mindset and I must say that it’s done a great job!
5. The 48 Laws of Power – Robert Greene
This book gives you insight into what people really do in order to get what they want. It’s useful if you want to learn how to manipulate others into doing what you want.
6. The Attractor Factor – Richard Koch
This is a short book that teaches people how to become successful in life by giving them the right strategies and habits that will lead them towards their goals. It’s definitely worth reading if you want the secrets of what people really do to reach their goals.
7. The Art of Happiness – Dalai Lama
I was a bit sceptical about this book at first, but it was very interesting reading about the Dalai Lama’s perspective on life. He’s a very caring and loving individual who has spent his entire life helping people. This book really shows how to be happy in your everyday life which is something that we all need to learn!
8. The Power of Mindset – Carol Dweck
This is one of my favorite books and it focuses on changing your mindset in order to fix your problems. This is a short book but it’s definitely worth reading!
If you want more tips on how to have a positive mindset, check out my other blog post: Tips for Positive Thinking: How to Have a Positive Mindset Every Day!
What are some podcasts you can listen to to help develop a positive mindset?
Podcasts are a gateway to learning and sharing knowledge. We love learning new things so podcasts are a great way to learn a lot of new material in the shortest time possible! Here are a few of my favorite podcasts that I always recommend to other people:
1. The Tim Ferriss Show – Tim Ferriss
This podcast is hosted by one of my favorite people – Tim Ferris. He’s a writer, antique dealer, and serial entrepreneur who has written several books that I’ve read. He interviews amazing people from all over the world that have experienced great things in life. His podcast is very interesting and I recommend you check it out!
2. The Moth – Empire Avenue
I love this podcast because it reaches so many people! It features stories about ordinary people who are doing extraordinary things every day. It also tells touching stories to help everyone feel good about themselves.
3. The Art of Charm Podcast – Jordan Harbinger
I recently started listening to this podcast and I like it a lot so far. The host talks about social dynamics in a fun way that makes it easy to learn what he’s trying to teach us. It’s been a lot of fun so far and I recommend you check it out!
4. The Adventure Zone – Griffin and Evan
This podcast is about a brother and his friend who play Dungeons & Dragons every week. It’s a lot of fun and it features great stories! As long as you’re not too serious about games, this is a great podcast to listen to.
5. Stone Soup – Jack & Miles
This is one of my favorite podcasts because it showcases the lives of real people who are doing amazing things every day. Jack and Miles interview people from all over the world to learn about their personal journeys. I love hearing about amazing people and this is a great podcast for that!
6. Entrepreneur on Fire – John Lee Dumas
This podcast is hosted by John Lee Dumas, who’s a successful entrepreneur and author of several books. John interviews successful entrepreneurs in order to find out what they’re doing that makes them different from the rest of us. It’s definitely worth listening to especially if you’re planning to start your own business!
7. Love + Radio – The Love and Relationships Podcast
This is another good one I recommend so far! I’ve been listening for the last week or so and it’s very entertaining. It’s basically a radio show with different hosts talking about a variety of topics. I love hearing about the lives of different people and this is a great podcast to listen to!
8. The Longest Shortest Time – The Longest Shortest Time
This podcast is about people who are in transition and how they cope with life. It’s a great podcast to listen to because it gives you different perspectives on the same things.
9. The Duncan Trussel Family Hour – Duncan Trussel
This is a great podcast about knowledge, philosophy, and consciousness. Duncan Trussel is a philosopher who has produced this podcast for the last 6 years! It’s definitely a podcast worth listening to if you love discussing ideas.
10. Freakonomics Radio – Stephen Dubner & Steven Levitt
I’ve been listening to this podcast for a while now and I like it because it does research on interesting topics that people normally wouldn’t think about. It’s good because it focuses on new ways of looking at things, which is always interesting.
What are some positive mindset affirmations you can use to help with your development?
- I am a good person who deserves happiness and success.
- I can do this. Sometimes, it may not seem like I can, but if I push through, I will prevail.
- Life is good and getting better all the time.
- My positive attitude helps me to solve problems and achieve my goals.
- Every day in every way, I am getting better and better.
- Today is a wonderful day! Things will only get better from here on out!
- I am a powerful and responsible person.
- I am capable of anything!
- I love myself, and this gives me power.
- I have the potential to do great things with my life.
- Today is a great day to learn, improve myself or meet new people.
- If I put my mind to it, I can achieve my goals in life!
- I have the ability to succeed at anything I set my mind to.
- I am a leader, and this power gives me faith that I can achieve my dreams.
- If I try, I always win!
- Others are depending on me, and that makes me feel good about myself!
- My life is a success because of all of the things that I have accomplished.
- I have the skills and knowledge to be a big success in my life!
- I love myself, and this makes me want to be the best that I can be.
- I am not going to let anyone stop me from being successful in life!
- When I think positive thoughts, I feel positive emotions and positive actions follow!
- The more positivity that I send out into the universe, the more that I will attract back into my life!
- When I remain positive and upbeat, everything in life becomes easier.
- I am accepting of myself and the world around me.
- The harder that I work, the more success I will achieve.
- If I am determined enough, nothing can stop me from achieving my dreams!
- If there is something that I want, then it is guaranteed that I will get it!
- All things come to those who believe in them and persist with determination!
- I will have the things that I want in my life through positive thoughts and positive actions!
- One day, I will be very successful in life because I am putting my mind to it every day!
A positive mindset is a powerful tool, and you’ll be amazed at how much better you feel when you start to use it. You can use positive affirmations to help you get started, but eventually, you will find that the power of positive thinking is easy to develop once you get used to using it. So what do you think? Are the positive mindset affirmations on this list helpful for your own personal development?
If so, please share these with friends! You never know when they may need the encouragement.
If you found these positive mindset affirmations helpful and you’d like to use them, go for it and good luck!